(Adapted from Real Simple)
- 4 ½ cups shredded cooked chicken (I use rotisserie chicken when I’m in a rush)
- 1 Tbls. Olive oil
- 1 c. onion – chopped well
- 4 carrots – diced
- 3 Tbls. Flour
- ½ c. White wine
- 2 c. low fat milk
- 10 oz. pkg. frozen peas
- 1 Tbls thyme
- Salt and ppper
- 1 frozen pie crust
- Heat oven to 4000F.
- Cook chicken if not using rotisserie chicken. Cool and shred.
- Heat oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Add the onions and carrots and cook until they begin to soften – 6-8 minutes. Sprinkle fht flour over the vegetables and cook stirring, for 1 minute.
- Add wine and cook until evaporated – about 5 minutes. Add the milk and simmer until the sauce begins to thicken – 2-3 minutes. Add thyme, salt and pepper and peas.
- Lightly grease a shallow 2 qt. casserole. Put chicken in casserole and pour wine/milk sauce over chicken.
- Lay the pie crust on top and press to seal around the edges. Cut vents in the crust. Put cassarol on top of a baking sheet and bake until bubbling and the crust is golden – about 30 minutes.
This is the lower fat version of my regular chicken pot pie – about 400 calories per serving and perfect for snowy days!