Courtesy Joanne Kauchak
This is great for buffets or pitch-in meals. Can be made ahead through step 6 in advance. Refrigerate and reheat thoroughly the next day. If you keep it warm in a crockpot it is fabulous!
- Rump or arm roast – approximately 1/4 lb per person to be served
- Cloves of garlic cut into thirds
- Jar of hot banana peppers
- Fennel seed
- Vegetable broth (can substitute water)
- Crusty sourdough hoagie or Kaiser rolls
- Preheat oven to 3500F.
- Cut slits into roast approximately 1” apart and deep into the meat. Stuff each slit with a clove of garlic and some banana peppers.
- Cover roast with vegetable broth or water.
- Sprinkle fennel seed on top
- Roast until fork tender – approximately 3 hrs.
- Let cool. Cut meat against grain and put it back into the broth.
- Serve on crusty rolls with hot peppers on the side.